Friday, May 13, 2011

Homemade Deodorant

I really loved my store bought deodorant. I loved all the scents I could try out! I did not love the stinging I felt when using it after shaving my pits, though! Nor did I love the expense of it. It may only be $3 per pack but that adds up quickly when you go through 1-2 sticks per month. If you are my husband you could even go through 2-3 sticks per month. I'm not sure what he's doing with his deodorant but he ALWAYS needs more! Even with the stinging pits and cost I preferred it over the massive B.O. would could accumulate living in the deep south.
Two weeks ago that all changed though. I wasn't just worried about the stinging pits or the cost. Cooper, my chemically sensitive little man, decided that deodorant tastes absolutely delicious. I found him clutching my entire stick with a huge, defined bite mark in the middle (if you have no mental image, think of all those pictures of sharks who have bitten through a surfboard. Got it?). I made my first call to poison control who told me he would start vomiting, which he did while I was on the phone with them. I felt so awful. So that incident led me to good ole' Google and I found out there were so many awful chemicals in deodorant that I was ready to switch (including aluminum being linked to breast cancer). Here is my new deodorant:

5-6 TBSP coconut oil
1/4 C baking soda
1/4 Arrowroot powder or cornstarch
Your choice of essential oils (only a few drops!)

Now, here's the amazing part... all you do is mix it together. That's it! It takes less than 5 minutes to put together and is so much safer. For my essential oils I used tea tree oil for it's antimicrobial and antiseptic properties and lavender oil for it's amazing smell. You don't really need oils, but I love my smelly girly products. Once I bring my hubby over the dark side I'll probably have to leave out the lavender oil. You can store it in a glass jar or even press it into an old deodorant tube for easier application.

And the best benefit... Coop will only have a mouthful of coconut deliciousness the next time he gets hungry while in my bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment