Monday, April 11, 2011

Why "Bring on the Green" was created

I was never going to be crunchy. Ever. When I found out I was pregnant with my son Cooper there was never any questions as to what type of diapers I was going to use. Bring on the disposables! I registered for and recieved hundreds and hundreds of disposable diapers at my baby shower. I had stockpiles of disposable wipes. Goodness I was so excited about modern conviences like these. How did anyone ever use cloth diapers? Yuck! Not long after my shower, my amazing and beautiful little boy was born. He made every part of life more enjoyable. The grass was greener, the sky was bluer, the air was sweeter. He was perfect! When he was five months old my husband and I noticed he loved to give us these adorable little "coy" glances. How cute was he?!?! He loved to play shy! He would drop his adorable little chin to his chest and look up with his eyes through his big eye lashes. Then he would do it again. And again. And again. He would do it 5-10 times per day! I felt like something was off and researched endlessly. I looked at youtube videos for hours. One day he had 10 of these episodes in about an hour and I rushed him to his pediatrician. He was sent to the neurologist where he was eventually diagnosed with epilepsy from one doctor and cataplexy from another. I was devestated. My five month old has epilepsy?? Not possible! The pediatric neurologist wanted to put my precious little 5 month old Cooper on some of the harshest medications around. We live in the south and one medication he was prescribed would not allow him to sweat properly. That is not acceptable. You want me to risk having my child overheat? The doctor told me the medication was not necessary since the siezures were not harming Cooper but that I could give it to him since the seizures annoyed me. I opted out. I had a group of friends who all cloth diapered (how weird are they???) and I started asking questions. I found out that disposable diapers have tons and tons of toxins in them. Toxins including dioxin. Dioxin is the highest known carcinogenic chemical. And they put this in diapers for our children to wear 24 hours a day. Dioxin used to be in tampons in the 1980's and caused toxic shock syndrome in women. It is now banned from personal hygiene usage. But it's not banned from diapers! Dioxin is also known to cause neurological effects, including seizures, in people are exposed to it (including children in diapers!). I decided it would not hurt anything to order a few cloth diapers and try them out. Within 4 days Cooper stopped having seizures. Let me say that again. After having 5-10 seizures per day, Cooper stopped having seizures. It was a miracle! We put him back in disposables to see if that was really the culprit. Within 2 days of wearing disposables he was back to having seizures again. Back to cloth one more time and he was seizure free. We've been in cloth ever since. Finding out about all these chemicals made me slowly start embracing the green lifestyle. I wanted to do what is best for my son! I want to give him the best chance in life! Now I want to bring my expierence and help people who need that gentle nudge to help them cut out chemicals in their life too! I'm still in the learning process and still trying to find ways to Bring On The Green in our life. I was never going to be crunchy. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment